Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Peace Cards

In recognition of International Peace Day last week, I put together a new lesson for our Peace Table.  This lesson includes a set of beautiful cards with the word, 'Peace' in various languages.  I obtained these cards several years ago and have kept the file on my computer but cannot remember where I got them!  If any of my readers know where these came from, please let me know so that I may link to the proper source.

I have had one set of cards out for quite some time, but noticed that the children did not use them regularly.  Since I still had the file on my computer, I decided to turn the lesson into a matching activity and printed out another set of cards in a smaller size.

A set of large Peace cards and a silver dove, which I explained is a symbol for peace. The decorative container holds the set of small card for matching...

...the small size of the cards is a great point of interest for the children!
Here, a student is laying out the cards, getting ready to match the smaller cards to the large ones. 
The cards have been more actively used now that there is a fun matching component to the lesson.  I have also heard several children remark, "These are so beautiful!"

UPDATE:
One of my readers found the link to the Peace Cards!  You can find them HERE.  Enjoy!

11 comments:

  1. Hello, I've been reading your fabulous blog since several months, I'm always happy to come here, read your way to do with pupils, your ideas, your words about the harmonious ambiance of your class. Thank you so much to share all this! Please let me know if you find again this file for peace words, this activity seems to be very interesting... Have a nice week-end!
    Dorina, teacher in France.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Dorina,
      Thank you very much for your kind words. I have added a link to the Peace Cards, thanks to Theresa (see below in the comments).

      Delete
  2. I found the link to the peace cards:
    https://app.box.com/shared/vehsaviprz

    Theresa Lipinski, Philadelphia PA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Theresa! I've added a link to the cards in the post. Thanks for finding it!

      Delete
  3. YEAH!!!
    Thank you! Thank You! Thank YOU!!!
    Theresa and Sasha!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this lesson so much! Hopefully by this time next year I will be able to lead my own group of wonderful students and present them this lesson.

    You are just outstanding, Sasha. So inspirational. I'm so thankful for your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, thank you, Heather. I'm so happy to know that my work can inspire others such as you! I wish you the best of luck with your hope to have your own group of students by this time next year! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After many starts and stops, I am FINALLY starting a Primary class from the beginning of the year and FINALLY getting to highlight this specific Peace lesson for Int'l Peace Day! I've been waiting for this moment for FOUR YEARS! I don't post much anymore but I AM still following right along with you, my long time, long distance mentor!

      Love, Heather

      Delete
  6. Hi Sasha,
    My students simply love these peace cards! Some of the older girls were inspired to trace each card using tracing paper and make a lovely book. One thing I've found though is that I don't know how to say or pronounce each way to say peace.. I've been trying to find resources on how to phonetically say peace in different languages, but with no luck- many searches would show you how to write different ways to say peace, but not how to say them. When you introduce this work do you tell the children how to say each peace card or just how to match them?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Theresa,
    What a great idea to make a booklet! To answer your question, no I do not know how to pronounce each card and simply show them how to match the cards.
    Thanks,
    Sasha

    ReplyDelete