Monday, August 6, 2012

Letter Matching and Fine Motor Practice

Here is another set of materials I've made to help the children practice letters - this lesson promotes letter  recognition with matching and fine motor skills.  I plan to place these strips on the shelves near the Sandpaper Letters so that once a child has been introduced the corresponding group of Sandpaper Letters (which are separated into three groups) they can begin working with this matching activity as well.  In the past, I have noticed that some children can quickly recall the letter sound associated with the symbol by simply using the Sandpaper Letters.  Others, however, benefit from more practice with additional materials in conjunction with the Sandpaper Letters.  I feel that this material will provide my students another opportunity to bridge knowledge while enhancing the pincer grasp needed for writing.  During the presentation of this lesson, I will stress the importance of saying the letter sound of the letter they are matching.  I envision some children practicing with the Sandpaper Letters and these strips at the same time.  For example, they can trace 'p' on the Sandpaper Letter then find the clip and match it on the strip.
Letter matching with clothespins.
Later in the year, I will add a set of clothespins with the corresponding printed letter so the children may match the printed version of a letter to the cursive font.  As with any material I've made, I look forward to implementing it in my classroom, observing the response from my students, and adapting or changing lessons based on their needs and interests.


Montessori Monday Link-Up

Montessori Monday

2 comments:

  1. Great idea, Sasha! Thanks for linking up with Montessori Monday. I featured your post at the Living Montessori Now Facebook page. I'm curious about which order you use to introduce sandpaper letters. I'd like to add the order you use to my post at http://livingmontessorinow.com/2010/09/07/in-what-order-should-you-introduce-letters-to-your-preschooler/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Deb! Someone else recently asked me about the order I use - I'll have to write a post about that soon. I simply have divided the letters into three groups: r, a, m, f, b, i, t, g; p,o,n,l,h,u,s,c; d,e,x,q,v,y,w,j,g,k,x,z. That way, once they are introduced to even the first set, they would be able to begin forming words and build on from there.

    ReplyDelete