Tuesday, December 6, 2011

December Math

In addition to the traditional Montessori math activities, the children have delighted in the following seasonal Math lessons: 
Top:  Gingerbread Men with numbers 1-10 with ten clothespins to clip on the line, similar to our Autumn Leaf number line seen in the post here.
Middle:  Christmas Bells (shapes) with numbers 0-10 and a basket of bells for counting.
Bottom:  Beads on a Wire with number cards 1-10.
 
After all that beading on a pipecleaner, a special surprise awaits...

...a Christmas tree!
And, if there was ever any doubt about how children make meaningful connections between materials, or how the Montessori sensorial apparatus directly prepare the Mathematical Mind:

...one child lined them up line this and declared, "It's just like the Brown Stair!"  :) 
I can see it, can you? ;)
Montessori Monday Link-Up
Montessori Monday

6 comments:

  1. Just stopping by from Montessori Monday! What a clever Christmas tree! My preschooler would love this! Your blog has so many great posts...I'm your newest follower on GFC!

    Lisa
    Criss-Cross Applesauce

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great ideas, You always have wonderful things to share. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Lisa and thank you for stopping by! I'm so glad you you enjoy my posts. Welcome to my blog!
    Sasha

    ReplyDelete
  4. We Can Do All Things,
    I'm so happy to share what is going on in my classroom! It's great to know that people appreciate my ideas and are able to incorporate them in their own lives. Thanks for reading and leaving your kind comment.
    Sasha

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome, Sasha! Great activities - and I LOVE the extensions! The Christmas tree and brown stair are too cool! I always enjoy seeing you linked up at Montessori Monday. I featured your post at the Living Montessori Now Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/LivingMontessoriNow

    ReplyDelete
  6. I thought you would appreciate that, Deb! :) Thanks for the FB link (and all the other links on your Christmas post, too)! I am always so grateful to be a part of Montessori Monday as well as your wonderful blog. Thanks again,
    Sasha

    ReplyDelete